The Awards of Excellence recognize individual journalists for quality work that makes an impact. All journalists who either work for Atlanta news outlets or who are based in Atlanta are eligible to enter for an Award of Excellence and anyone is eligible to nominate a journalist for an Award of Excellence. All entries must be work completed in 2016.
DEADLINE EXTENDED: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17 AT 10 P.M.
The 2016 Awards of Excellence will be judged by members of the National Press Club based on the following criteria:
- Quality of Content
- Did it make an impact?
- Demonstrated Reportorial Skill
Members of the Atlanta Press Club board of directors are not eligible to win.
To enter or to nominate someone:
- Pay the entry fee
- Return the completed form and the work to be judged (if you don’t have access to the work, we will help you acquire it.)
- APC Members – $25 per entry
- Nonmembers – $45 per entry
2016 Awards of Excellence Categories:
- Print/Online, Daily – News or feature articles appearing in a daily publication
- Print/Online, Non-Daily – News or feature articles appearing in regularly produced weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly, or one-off newspapers or magazines
- TV Reporting – News or feature story appearing in a local or national newscast or program. Story should run no longer than 15 minutes.
- Videography – Videography to support a news or feature story. Story should run no longer than 15 minutes.
- Radio Reporting – News or feature story appearing on local or national radio. Story should run no longer than 15 minutes
- Documentary/Series – A long-form look at a single issue in visual or audio format. Entry should run 15 minutes or longer.
- Use of Sound – Quality sound use to support a news or feature broadcast, online or radio story.
- Single Image Photo – News or feature photograph that supports or tells a story.
- Photo Gallery – Photo story or collection of photographs that supports or tells a story.
- Investigative Reporting – An investigative broadcast, print, online or radio story or series that had demonstrable impact.
- The Rising Star Award – Outstanding talent from any medium, from a journalist under 30 years of age.
- NEW FOR 2016: The News Innovation Award – presented to an organization or individual that used an innovative approach to report or disseminate news. Entries may include the use of technology or social media in a unique way, or the reporting of a story in a way that is unique to your or your organization. This entry must include a letter that demonstrates proof of innovation. This category will be judged by a team from the Google News Lab, which has a mission of fostering journalism innovation.
- The Atlanta Press Club Impact Award -The winner of the APC Impact Award is a Georgian (not necessarily a journalist) who had a significant impact on the journalism profession in the previous calendar year and has furthered the mission of the APC, which is focused on fostering journalistic excellence and advancing the public’s understanding of a free press. This entry must include a letter that demonstrates proof of impact/results.