In partnership with the Atlanta History Center
Come share a cup of cheer and raise your toast to 50 years of great journalism in Atlanta! Join the Atlanta Press Club and Atlanta History Center on December 9, for Holidays, History and Highlights, the final celebration of the Press Club’s 50th anniversary year. Ford is the presenting sponsor of this event.
Get a closer look at 10 of Atlanta’s favorite news stories over the past 50 years. Print and broadcast selections from every decade since the 1960s as selected by APC members and public votes will be on display along with journalism artifacts from the Atlanta History Center collection.
Bid on great deals from local restaurants, attractions and businesses to brighten up your holidays and New Year in our silent auction. And share delectable food and holiday beverages with your fellow Press Club pros.
Atlanta’s Top 10 Favortire Stories Over the Past 50 Years
From the elegant prose of the AJC’s legendary Ralph McGill to the interactive breadth of Creative Loafing’s musical profile “Straight Outta Stankonia,” the 10 top stories highlight a compelling range of dynamic journalism from the last 50 years in Atlanta media. After months of submission, screening and voting by press club members and the public, these selections from the Atlanta’s Favorite Stories competition received the top number of votes:
- Who’s Out of Step in Atlanta, Eugene Patterson, The Atlanta Constitution, 1964
- The Nobel Prize Reminds Us, Ralph McGill, The Atlanta Constitution, 1964
- They’re Killing Our Children, Boyd Lewis, WABE, 1981
- The Color of Money, Bill Dedman, The Atlanta Journal Constitution, 1988
- When AIDS Comes Home, Michael Schwarz and Steve Sternberg, The Atlanta Journal Constitution, 1989
- The Damage That Naming a Suspect Does, Ann Woolner, The Fulton County Daily Report, 1996
- Why is Genarlow Wilson in Prison, Chandra Thomas Whitfield, Atlanta Magazine, 2006
- The Fall of House Speaker Glenn Richardson, Dale Russell, FOX 5, 2009
- Around the Clock at Waffle House, Besha Rodell, Creative Loafing, 2010
- Straight Outta Stankonia, Rodney Carmichael, Gavin Godfrey and Christina Lee, Creative Loafing, 2014
Tuesday, December 9
6:00 – 9:00PM
Attire is business or holiday festive.
Atlanta History Center
130 W. Paces Ferry Rd. NW
Atlanta, GA, 30305
To register click here.
Tickets - $25
If you join APC or renew your dues and purchase a ticket to the event, you will receive a second ticket for free. Call 404.577.7377 to take advantage of this offer.
Tickets may be purchased by calling 404-577-7377. Tickets will also be available to purchase at the door. Payment must accompany reservations. Refunds will not be granted after Thursday, December 4.