GENERAL SUMMARY: Develops and maintains a proactive media relations program and serves as a spokesperson for the college within the guidelines of federal state and local laws and college and office/departmental policies and procedures. Reports to the associate vice president for marketing and public relations and works with co-workers, faculty, staff, alumnae, students, external media, and other contacts to advance the visibility, reputation and goals of the college.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develops and maintains a proactive public relations program that includes digital and print media as well as media relations.
- With the AVP for marketing and public relations, serves as a spokesperson for the college and/or identifies appropriate spokesperson(s).
- Oversees the development of content for brand related messaging in digital and print communications including the college’s website, social media presence and news related publications.
- Supervises director of digital strategy as well as communications interns responsible for assisting with the development and dissemination of content.
- Serves as editor of Agnes Scott The Magazine.
- Creates and maintains an editorial calendar for the college’s website as well as writing and developing content, including articles, photo essays, videos and stories.
- Designs, implements and periodically updates a media relations plan to advance core strategic goals of the college through positive news, features and editorial coverage.
- Cultivates relationships with faculty, staff, and students as a basis for current source sheets on faculty and staff and for content development and feature stories.
- With the AVP for marketing and public relations, develops and disseminates crisis communications for both internal and external audiences.
- Monitors the news daily for media opportunities; develops story concepts and places them in local, regional and national news media; cultivates and maintains relationships with local and national media; and responds promptly to media requests.
- Advises and trains faculty, staff and students about working with media.
- Researches and writes speeches or letters as needed.
Education: BA/BS in related occupational field of study.
Experience: Minimum of 5-7 years work experience in public relations and/or journalism.
- Excellent writing and editing skills for print and web publications; keen news judgment with as sense of what stories will engage and motivate audiences; experience with creating and executing a communications strategy; and background engaging and motivating internal audiences.
- Media relations experience as a journalist and/or substantial experience working with reporters; social media experience parlaying stories into engaging content for social media channels; and understanding of which social media content works best for audiences and channels.
- Possess a high level of self-confidence and poise essential to position function.
- Experience preparing for and handling a crisis that requires internal and/or external communications.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, think quickly in response to media questions, act with a cool head and present a calm demeanor, and to shift priorities.
- Experience with video production: planning and overseeing the creation of visual communications content.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills, both verbal and written and ability to work with a variety of personalities within a diverse population.
- Considerable knowledge of national media, various cultural differences and concerns, and public relations practices in higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, manage a heavy workload with multiple priorities, and to maintain confidentiality.
- Possess excellent organizational skills be a self starter.
- Travel and work in off-campus settings may be required
- Irregular hours, evenings or weekends, may be required on a regular basis.
Intermittent sitting, standing, stooping, crouching, walking, and occasional moving of light objects. Work is generally performed in an office.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Please apply online. Please submit a writing sample with your application. Position is posted until filled. Due to the overwhelming response to the college’s staff openings we are unable to respond personally to individual telephone inquiries. No faxed submissions please.
Agnes Scott College does not discriminate on the basis of, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability or genetic information, gender identity and gender expression or any other characteristic protected by law in its employment. Agnes Scott College has a strong commitment to diversity and urges members of underrepresented groups to apply.