Staff Writer (Montgomery, AL)
About the Southern Poverty Law Center:
The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is a catalyst for racial justice in the South and beyond, working in partnership with communities to dismantle white supremacy, strengthen intersectional movements, and advance the human rights of all people.
The SPLC is looking for a staff writer to join the organization’s Communications team. The communications writer will compose engaging copy for the Center’s multiple audiences to support the organization’s programmatic and institutional goals. The writer will work in a collaborative environment to produce narrative feature stories, enterprise stories that uncover the forces shaping news events, news stories, press releases, commentary pieces, policy reports, fact sheets and other written communications, both print and electronic. The writer must ensure accuracy, clarity, consistency, and overall quality of content while meeting deadlines and balancing daily and longer-term assignments.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Writing original online and print content, including but not limited to narrative feature stories, enterprise stories, news stories, press releases, fact sheets, newsletters, letters, commentary pieces and policy
- Providing editorial support to other departments as needed
- Staying up to date on news events that affect SPLC programmatic
- Contributing editorial ideas to promote SPLC programmatic work.
- Conducting research and fact-checking as needed
- Working across departments to bring clear messaging and institutional voice to all written
- Copyediting and proofreading for a variety of publications
- At least three years of professional writing experience, preferably within a news organization and/or nonprofit environment
- Strong communication skills: ability to write clearly, accurately, and
- Proven ability to work independently, meet multiple deadlines and function under
- Familiarity with and commitment to social justice issues and the SPLC’s mission
- Team player with entrepreneurial spirit and ability to collaborate effectively with staff members at all levels in fast-paced environment
- Commitment to ideals of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion
- Commitment to fostering an anti-racist work culture and to anti-racist principles and learning.
For immediate consideration, please click the link below to apply:
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
This position is represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Due to COVID-19, our offices are currently closed, and staff is working remotely. If this position is filled while our offices remain closed, the new employee will work remotely until the offices reopen. We are not asking newly hired employees to relocate while the offices are closed.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.