Social Media Specialist, Sr.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Manages promotions for the division’s news division by leveraging content externally via social media channels
- Develops images, videos, graphics and other compelling content to support news/feature stories and boost engagement
- Develops live-streaming coverage of major events/speakers via Facebook Live and Periscope
- Tracks reporters and breaking news on Twitter
- Demonstrates excellent writing skills and ability to shoot video and package content for maximum impact
- Shoot videos/photos of informal faculty/staff/student interviews and activities for promotion via social media channels
- Monitor external social media channels to support issues management function; develop strategies for handling controversial issues/crisis communications (may require after-hours/weekend availability)
- Develops social media strategies and implements plans in support of news activities; tracks results and produces analytical reports
- Contributes to integrated marketing communications initiatives
- Contributes to developing and implementing social media strategy for Emory University at the institutional brand level, coordinating with stakeholders across the University
- Advises selected faculty/staff on social media tactics related to promotion of scholarship, teaching and research
- Participates collaboratively as part of the University’s communications team during critical events, requiring after-hours/weekend availability
- Researches and applies best practices approach to all social media responsibilities
FORMAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
- Manages the digital initiative function for a school, department, center, institute, or unit and works in conjunction with communications and marketing teams to create, package and promote engaging and relevant content via the Internet that publicizes the entity’s, Emory University’s, and Emory Healthcare’s leadership presence to the world.
- Administers the website and social media function for the division through extensive consultation, training and collaboration with web and social media professionals across Emory University and Emory Healthcare.
- Executes and oversees strategy for development and long-term maintenance of the entity’s website.
- Assists in development and translation of strategic plans into executable Web tactics.
- Provides project management for web development projects.
- Develops dynamic Web site and social media content requiring scripting.
- Compiles and analyzes reports on Web traffic, social media activity, and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM) performance.
- Manages social media campaigns and related daily activities, including the entity’s presence in social and community networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Snapchat.
- Serves as an advocate in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where applicable.
- Manages online media outreach and viral campaigns to that increases awareness and/or drive traffic to the entity’s web site.
- Benchmarks impact of website initiatives and social media programs, and analyzes, reviews, and reports on effectiveness of campaigns to leadership and marketing and communications teams so as to leverage such information into actionable strategies.
- Monitors trends in website and social media tools and applications, and applies such knowledge to increasing the use of social media within the entity.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- May supervise other staff or interns.
The above statements are intended to describe the work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the personnel so classified.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications, or related field and two years of relevant work experience in marketing, communications, or public relations, including work in social media and web development. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Prior supervisory experience is preferred. Thorough grasp of Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, blogs and other social media forums, and working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite required. Understanding of Photoshop, FinalCut Pro, Cascade Content Management System (or alternate), InDesign, blogging software, SEO and SEM techniques, and Google Analytics required. Excellent computer and written communication skills.