Manager of Content and Coverage
SUMMARY: KIRO 7 is looking for someone with a great passion and understanding for news across all platforms to be its new Manager of Coverage and Content. This is a key position on the management team. This individual will have a major role shaping the news content.
The Manager of Coverage and Content will take charge of our day-ahead planning. This involves supervising the assignment desk and digital team to make sure we have the right plan each day for our content on all platforms.
The Manager of Coverage and Content also works closely with the News Director and Assistant News Director on special projects stories. This manager will schedule enterprise days for reporters and photographers to work ahead on promotable news content. KIRO 7 schedules promotable stories 52 weeks a year. It is a key part of our strategy to grow our brand on all platforms. The Manager of Coverage and Content supervises the promotable story calendar, works closely with the investigative reporters and supervises the investigative producer.
Manager of Coverage and Content is also responsible for supervising the planning of major events coverage, elections, political debates, and annual station events like the KIRO 7 4th of July Fireworks broadcast or Seafair Parade.
The right applicant will be a proficient planner with strong news judgment who understands the logistics involved in juggling multiple news crews. Ideally, this person will have experience planning major coverage on all platforms. We’re looking someone who can spot great enterprise content and help distribute that content to all of our platforms. We need someone who can communicate a clear strategy to a team and hold direct reports accountable once standards are set. Strong management and organizational skills are a must.
A Bachelor’s degree is preferred with at least 5 years management experience in a television newsroom.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Newscast & Brand Management – 90%
- Responsible for supervising the planning of major events.
- Plans day-to-day content on all platforms.
- Works closely with the Assistant News Director on a promotable story strategy.
- Distributes content on TV, OTT and all digital platforms.
- Supervises the assignment desk and digital team.
- Ensures that our content distribution is on target with the research.
Administrative – 10%
- The Manager of Coverage and Content leads and manages assignment editors and our digital team.
- Assists in establishing schedules, goal setting, and employee relations.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be a quick leading innovator who can lead a team in a changing media environment
- Must understand and be able to execute on evolving digital platforms
- Must be a good teacher and leader
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- A. Degree in Journalism, Communications, or other field of study preferred
- 5 or more years of newsroom experience required with prior management experience.
- Major market experience preferred
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must be well read on current affairs and have a wide-range working knowledge and understanding of general interest subjects.
- Must be able to understand research and execute on the findings.
- Ability to work well with others and deal with employee issues appropriately.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands and essential physical abilities includes: a combination of physical work (standing, walking, lifting and carrying items such as laptop computers, pulling file drawers.
- Sedentary demands includes: document review and computer use, including ability to manipulate fingers to operate computer keyboard and mouse.
- Expected to work under deadline constraints and meet precise deadlines (including self-imposed deadlines).
- Routine interruptions and unforeseen assignments are to be expected.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.