JR05706 – Digital Content Manager
The DCM is a senior level position reporting to the News Director – who will lead the strategic digital planning and content generation across web, mobile, social, and emerging media platforms. The Manager is charged with growing both audience and engagement; identifying revenue opportunities; supervising a team of Digital Content Producers; developing digital training workshops; leading in the production and packaging of journalism for digital audiences, growing the station’s brand and establishing digital expectations and responsibilities for the evolving newsroom.
The Digital Content Manager will be a cross-departmental, in-house expert on digital publishing, platforms, and content discoverability. The ideal candidate has strong news judgment and experience; is well versed in media ethics; has advanced experience with digital publishing, platforms and performance; as well as has strong analytical acumen for audience KPI analysis, engagement and insights.
The role and responsibilities of the Digital Content Manager include:
- Develop and execute digital content strategy to grow both audience and engagement under the guidance of the News Director
- Oversee consistent brand execution across all digital platforms, including elevating and maximizing specialized in-depth and investigative content
- Coach and evaluate performance of news staff to produce accurate and compelling writing, images and video, across varied digital distribution platforms
- Create in advance comprehensive digital coverage plans for major news, weather and sports events
- Work in a cross-departmental capacity — news, sales, marketing — to develop integrated strategies for all digital
- Develop and implement social media initiatives and manage a large social media presence for brand, franchises and talent
- Create and generate weekly, monthly quarterly, ad-hoc reports and analysis as needed
- Develop and execute integrated promotional plans in real time through both app push alerts and social media pushes while maintaining flexibility as circumstances and priorities shift
- Lead the transition of a pure play digital team to an integrated content center as part of ongoing organizational development
- Have the stature, initiative and leadership abilities to be considered as a newsroom leader
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
Education: College degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field preferred. High School diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: 3-5 years in a major market newsroom preferred. Internet content management is required.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Strong editorial skills. Working knowledge of digital technologies. Newsroom computer skills.
% Travel Required (Approximate): <5%