Houston County/Warner Robins Reporter
The Telegraph in Macon, Georgia is looking for a community reporter to cover Houston County and Warner Robins.
The reporter will build rapport with community and civic leaders in Houston County, just south of Macon-Bibb County and report stories that matter to Houston County residents.
That means living and working in Middle Georgia to build sources, using a myriad of tools to generate strong story ideas and developing a keen understanding of what’s important to local audiences.
It will require enthusiastic participation in ongoing conversations about what’s working and what’s not — and an equally enthusiastic commitment to adapting accordingly.
Houston County, which includes the cities of Warner Robins, Perry and Bonaire, is home to Robins Air Force base and is one of the largest counties in the Peach State.
The ideal candidate for this position is a person who loves building relationships, is highly organized and is a strong communicator and collaborator who thrives working on a team.
This is a full-time (40-hours a week) position that includes health, dental and vision insurance and three weeks of paid vacation
- The Houston County/Warner Robins reporter will need to write clean, concise copy and have a strong appreciation for the role analytics plays in story selection and direction. A strong commitment to journalism ethics, fairness and accuracy is a must.
- The reporter needs effective interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability to take and give constructive criticism. The new workflows require constant conversations between reporters and editors and between reporters and their audience as a story evolves.
- The ideal candidate can work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation, and always evolving.
- A college degree is required. Applications must include a cover letter (no more than one page) and at least five clips/story links. Application materials should be sent to Telegraph senior editor Caleb Slinkard at email@example.com.
- The reporter will need reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance (at least the minimum insurance required in Georgia).
About the Telegraph
The Telegraph is a newspaper in Macon, Georgia that publishes seven days a week (six in print). The newsroom is located on the Mercer University campus as part of the Center for Collaborative Journalism, a joint initiative of Mercer, the Telegraph, 13WMAZ and Georgia Public Broadcasting.
The Telegraph covers Macon-Bibb County, a consolidated city-county with more than 150,000 people that boasts a rich musical heritage as the hometown of Little Richard, Otis Redding and members of the Allman Brothers Band. The Telegraph also covers surrounding counties, including Houston County, home to Warner Robins and Robins Air Force Base, one of the state’s largest employers.