The Digital Manager will oversee the growth of Atlanta magazine’s digital revenue across all platforms and ancillary titles to include the magazine’s main website, email, custom/native content and social media. In this role, the Digital Manager is instrumental in developing new ideas for digital revenue growth and will work closely with the sales team (locally and nationally) to implement these new sales opportunities. The Digital Manager also partners with Atlanta magazine’s editorial, sales, marketing, and business staff. The Digital Manager is charged with delivering excellent internal service to the entire Atlanta staff and external service to our digital audience, advertisers, sponsors, and partners. This position reports to the president & publisher.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work hand-in-hand with the sales team to identify digital revenue prospects, ideate around opportunities to present to digital prospects, assist with proposals and partner with the sales team to present these opportunities.
- While the Digital Manager will not be charged with an individual sales goal for digital, it will be expected this person play an integral role in working closely with the sales team to accomplish an overall digital revenue goal – by month, quarter and annually.
- Oversee maintenance and growth of Atlanta magazine’s digital audience and revenue, including website, email database, and social media.
- Provide support, guidance and ideas for all digital initiatives, strategizing with editorial and sales departments on content, product, and revenue opportunities.
- Work with external clients and sales staff to concept, schedule, execute, and recap advertising campaigns.
- Responsible for department budget, meeting revenue goals and adhering to budgeted expenses.
- Create and share analytics reports to support sales and content functions and establish best practices.
- Educate staff on digital trends and best practices, and internally advocate for digital growth and initiatives.
- Participate in occasional Managers meetings.
- Collaborate with company peers at publications in other markets.
- Editorial and Art (30%):
- Collaborate with Edit and Art staff on how best to extend our content (articles, images, infographics, etc.) across all distribution platforms, including website, social, and monthly print channels.
- Attend occasional editorial meetings to collaborate, brainstorm, and prepare for online content, including surveys, promotions, user-generated content, etc.
- Contribute to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram strategy and tactics.
- Provide support to Edit and Art staff with digital tools (e.g. WordPress, HubSpot, etc.).
- Sales, Marketing, and Business (70%):
- Work closely with sales staff to develop multi-platform client proposals, including display ads, email marketing, sponsored social media, sponsored content, and more.
- Schedule, monitor, and provide metrics/results for digital advertising campaigns.
- Attend biweekly sales meeting to develop and present ad sales opportunities in order to generate online revenue.
- Work with Sales and Art to maintain and update the digital portions of media kits and other marketing collateral.
- Monitor and update online advertising.
- Support Events and Marketing staff with online promotion and ticket sales for company and client events.
Successful candidates will possess the following skills/abilities/experience:
- Essential skills required:
- Minimum 3-4 years of experience in digital publishing, websites, social media, or a related field, preferably in the media industry.
- Strong written and verbal communications with the ability to translate advanced technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills, including ability to manage a small team.
- Microsoft Office Suite, especially Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of and experience with website content management systems, social media tools, digital display advertising tools, analytics tools, and email marketing platforms.
- Superior analytical skills with the ability to extract trends and conclusions from numerical data.
- Excellent planning, project management, time management, and organizational skills.
- Desired skills and experience:
- Prior experience creating and deploying digital media campaigns
- Proven track record establishing goals and driving results.
- Experience working with small and large local and national businesses and ad agencies.
- Experience presenting advertising campaigns to clients.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing digital media environment.
- Excellent understanding of digital best practices, consumer behavior, and emerging trends.
- Experience with WordPress, Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, HubSpot, and HTML.
- Experience with Google DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP) and Google Analytics.
- Experience with Facebook and Instagram Insights, Twitter Analytics, and social media advertising.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, new media, or related field
- 3–4 years of experience in traditional or digital media.
Apply for this position
To apply for the Digital Manager position, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Digital Manager.” No phone calls, please.