Creative Services Manager (Non-Student)
The Red & Black Publishing Company, Inc., has an immediate opening for a professional Creative Services Manager. The ideal candidate will be a design wizard with a zeal for keeping up with industry trends and a passion for encouraging emerging talent. As an independent, nonprofit student-media organization, we have a twofold mission: To be an exceptional news source and to give students hands-on training in all aspects of the media business. Each member of our small team of professional staff is charged with delivering expert professional service while mentoring and training students.
PRIMARY PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinating pre-press production for our weekly newspaper and family of special publications. This includes tracking ads submitted through our web-based system, coordinating with the sales team on ads that need to be built in-house, building InDesign templates for publications, and preparing files for delivery to the printer.
- Creating client ads as needed. These include print, digital, and social ads.
- Managing Red & Black brand identity. This includes major sales collateral (such as our media kit) and overseeing student designers who work on house ads and other materials such as items in our merchandise program.
- Keeping up with industry trends. We’re looking for someone who loves design and keeps up with what’s going on in the field — and is eager to share that awareness with students.
PRIMARY TRAINING/MENTORING RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serving as the direct supervisor for one to three student assistants. The tasks above are completed with help from students. The creative services manager oversees, trains and mentors these assistants.
- A degree in graphic design or a related field
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Cloud products — especially InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat Pro
- At least 2 years of professional experience, ideally with some print work
- The ability to work a flexible schedule, including occasional Wednesday production nights
- Patience, good humor and sincere enthusiasm for working with college students
This is a 25-hour/week position with the potential to grow into a full-time position.
ABOUT US: The Red & Black Publishing Company, Inc. is an independent, not-for-profit corporation which circulates the largest print college newspaper in Georgia and publishes daily news at redandblack.com. We have a vigorous social media presence and are expanding our digital-first news operations and family of special publications. Founded in 1893, The Red & Black is operationally and financially independent from the University of Georgia.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, link to your digital portfolio site (OR a PDF of work samples) to: email@example.com