Coordinator/Southern Region Newsroom Practice Change
Newsroom Practice Change
Solutions Journalism Network
SJN, a non-profit organization based in New York City and devoted to the spread of solutions journalism, is seeking a Coordinator for the Southern Region.
This exciting initiative will launch in 2018 as part of SJN’s Newsroom Practice Change strategy and will target newsrooms in a defined geographic area with the goal of promoting and institutionalizing the practice of solutions journalism and creating a network of news outlets that embrace the solutions journalism approach.
This position reports to the Director of Newsroom Practice Change.
- Identifying high-potential news organizations
- Marketing the solutions approach, and SJN’s services, to top newsroom executives
- Developing and managing newsroom partnerships
- Conducting solutions journalism workshops
- Following up with news organizations working on solutions journalism projects
- Providing news organizations with editorial support – including connections to other journalists, issue experts, or examples of successful responses
- Gathering evidence of solutions journalism impact
- Supporting the integration of SJN’s newsroom initiative with its emerging network of non-affiliated news professionals
- Organizing events that bring together news professionals around coverage areas or common geography
A successful candidate must possess the following skills:
- Five to seven years of experience in a media organization (reporting and/or editing)
- Project management experience
- Strong entrepreneurial aptitude
- Extremely strong interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Training experience
- Experience in the use of social engagement tools
- Data analysis skills a plus
This position can be based in Charlotte, Atlanta or another main Southern city, but will require travel throughout the South of the US as well as occasional visits to HQ in New York City.
SJN offers competitive compensation and benefits package.
If you have a passion for journalism and would like to be a part of an organization that is making a real difference in the way in which communities are informed and engage with news, we would love to hear from you. Please submit your c.v. and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
November 10, 2017