Duties and Responsibilities:
The Georgia Department of Economic Development (GDEcD) is the state’s sales and marketing arm, the lead agency for attracting new business investment, encouraging the expansion of existing industry and small businesses, addressing macro level workforce issues, locating new markets for Georgia products, attracting tourists to Georgia, and promoting the state as a destination for arts events and location for film, music and digital entertainment projects, as well as planning and mobilizing state resources for economic development.
The GDEcD Tourism Division works to promote the state, and its communities and attractions, to help visitors discover all of Georgia’s unique vacation opportunities. This Content Specialist position will focus on written content for the Georgia Tourism brand. The selected candidate will be responsible for writing original Georgia Tourism content in a consistent and compelling manner that aligns with the brand voice. Content will be used for digital media (web and social) as well as for publications, collateral, and other needs within the Tourism Division. The ideal candidate for this position is collaborative and proactive with a customer-centered attitude.
- Creating high-quality written content for multiple digital platforms
- Successfully employing SEO best practices to drive traffic to content
- Maintaining knowledge of effective user experience in interactive products
- Understanding and navigating digital media platforms
- Copyediting digital and print content for grammar/spelling and to ensure overall accuracy, consistency, tone, style, and branding
- Supporting other content creators through collaboration on story ideas, copyediting, and proofreading content, and assisting with interactive content as necessary
- Driving strategies that are proven by testing and metrics; using the website, social and campaign analytics to identify trends, assess data, and enhance content performance and
Please note: All candidates must submit samples of writing style (no more than five). These can be any form of content that best represents work such as but not limited to: long form articles, short form social media campaigns, research documentation for planning, content plan outline, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising, journalism, English or a closely related field AND one (1) year of experience in a similar OR four (4) years of experience in a similar position in the travel/tourism industry
- Expert writing, editing, and proofreading ability
- Possess an engaging writing style, creativity, and excellent attention to detail
- Proficient with web content best practices, including SEO, HTML and uploading content into a content management system
- Able to think strategically and work collaboratively with a team
- Demonstrate a healthy balance of creative, editorial, and technical skills
- Able to multitask, perform efficiently and well under tight deadlines
- Able to manage own workflow while coordinating with team and management on schedules, requirements, goals, and assignments as needed
- Willing to take direction if and when needed, but also work independently
- Able to respond positively to customer and peer criticism and feedback
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Able to effectively manage relationships, both internally and externally
- 2+ years’ experience in content development for web, with strong social fluency
- Experience in the travel/tourism industry and/or advertising agency
- Experience writing features
- Strong knowledge of Georgia’s tourism assets
Application Instructions: To apply for this position, you must submit your resumé and cover letter (PDF format preferred) via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the deadline listed above.
Include the position title and location in the subject line of your e-mail. If you do not have internet access or require an accommodation because of a disability, please contact GDEcD Human Resources at 404- 962-4000.
Additional Information for Applicants: All qualified candidates will be considered but may not receive an interview. Preference will be given to applicants who meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications. Internal applicants may be considered prior to other applicants. Information on publicly posted social media accounts may be reviewed as part of the screening process. Applicants who are not selected for interviews will not receive notification.
Applicants selected for hire will be subject to a background check, including a criminal history record check. Depending on the position, the background check may include education verification, credit check, and driving record. Additionally, male applicants between 18 and 26 years of age must present proof of Selective Service Registration if hired.
Please note, if travel is required, the selected candidate will be required to pay travel expenses (hotel, meals, etc.) up front and will be reimbursed within one week of expense statement approval.