SUMMARY: The Georgia Innocence Project (GIP) is a non-profit legal organization dedicated to preventing and correcting the wrongful conviction of innocent people in Georgia, and to helping the exonerated rebuild their lives. The Communications Manager reports to GIP’s Executive Director and is generally responsible for amplifying GIP’s work and message to advance GIP’s mission, establish GIP’s credibility and expertise, and to build loyalty and support.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Oversee cultivation and management of media relationships to help shape news coverage
– Create press kits, draft and issue press advisories and releases, and respond to press inquiries
– Help create newsletters, e-blasts, blog posts and other updates
– Develop fact sheets, case highlights, op eds, and other informational materials
– Manage and create content for social media accounts
– Assist with communications aspects of development, such as Giving Tuesday and annual reports
– Manage communications aspects of Wrongful Conviction Day, partnerships, and events
– Research and secure strategic speaking opportunities and media placements
– Work with ED to develop and implement strategic communications plan
– Manage website content and design
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
– Bachelor’s degree required, and 3+ years similar experience preferred
– Legal communications experience strongly preferred
– Nonprofit fundraising experience desired
– Passion for and understanding of GIP’s mission and work
– Self-starter that also asks questions and seeks clarification when needed
– Humility and confidence – no job is too small or too big
– Values giving and receiving feedback and constructive criticism
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should e-mail the following as PDF attachments: a cover letter, resume, three references, and samples of your work (no more than 15 pages) to email@example.com. Include “Communications Manager” in the subject line of your email. We will then email you a short application to complete. Individuals selected for an interview will be contacted directly. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
The Georgia Innocence Project is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture for all employees.
DEADLINE: Position will be open until filled.