The Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation (AVLF) is a highly respected nonprofit serving Atlanta and with influence beyond our geographic service area. In collaboration with local agencies, other nonprofits and the city’s legal community, our staff of experts provide critically important services to Atlanta residents facing intimate partner abuse, landlord-tenant disputes, eviction, and unpaid wages. Clear, coordinated multi-channel communication is essential to connect the organization with people seeking help, volunteers, employees, donors, partners, policy makers and other important stakeholders.
The Director of Communications reports to the Deputy Director and will serve on the leadership team. This individual will play an integral role in a strategic planning process in 2023, ensuring communications are effectively positioned to support organizational goals and cut across all departments and functions. This position will manage one Marketing Manager and will recommend possible additional staffing and manage consultant and contract support as needed.
A successful candidate will understand nonprofit communications, fundraising, and audience differentiation. An appreciation for the issues AVLF seeks to influence is key, and a commitment to respectful, authentic, integrated content is essential. AVLF is a fast-paced environment, fueled by people who are personally and professionally motivated to help people in crisis. We prioritize diversity, demand integrity, and value transparency and creativity.
● Work with the executive director and leadership team to establish communication priorities that align with organizational goals.
● Create comprehensive communications plans; lead and implement communications tactics and tasks; monitor and report on progress.
● Develop and roll out processes, standards, and approval flows to facilitate efficient, accurate and appropriate external and internal communications.
● Ensure quality, consistency, and accuracy of proactive and reactive organizational communications to key audiences including individuals seeking help, volunteers, donors and prospects, employees, partners and board members.
● Clarify the role of communications across the organization. Position yourself as a partner and resource to strengthen work within departments.
● Partner with the fundraising team, program managers, HR, and other internal stakeholders to solve problems, understand communication goals and audiences; set priorities and develop efficient multi-channel communication strategies to meet them.
● Guide content development and distribution across a variety of platforms.
● Ensure appropriate organizational access and security for all digital communication platforms – website, email, and social media, etc.
● Review, revise, establish, organize, and ensure compliance with communication standards such as visual brand identity, organizational messaging and media relations protocols.
● Manage project timelines and ensure deadlines are met.
● Advise employees, board members and other stakeholders on how to use social media and other tools to further AVLF’s goals.
● Set performance goals, develop work plans, mentor, and manage a Marketing Manager and additional team members as identified.
● Oversee hiring and management for communications roles including contractors and consultants.
Qualifications and Skills
● A college degree in a related field and at least 10 years of experience as a communications leader, ideally with some of that time spent at a nonprofit and/or working in a related field such as housing insecurity, poverty or legal aid
● Prior experience managing and mentoring staff and influencing colleagues
● Experience developing communication strategies, systems, and templates; ability to examine goals and audiences to recommend appropriate communication tactics
● Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
● An understanding of and commitment to learn about the issues AVLF addresses, the Atlanta community, and the context in which we work (partners, agencies, policies, etc.)
● Ability to direct and execute multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
● Ability to develop and implement creative, integrated communications strategies across common tools and platforms including websites, email, social media, presentations, print materials, speaking opportunities, events, etc.
● Self-starter who can take initiative, immerse themselves in the organization, and identify the right people and tools to solve problems and seize opportunities
● Confidence, creativity, and a commitment collaboration to help teams ground tactics and desires in organizational priorities and lift up others to meet goals.
● Skilled at developing interpersonal relationships among colleagues and partners
● Willingness to roll up your sleeves to do tactical work including content development, project management, editing, and proofreading; flexibility to pivot in a dynamic environment
● Ability to communicate with empathy and respect with people in crisis and communities of color in a way that builds trust and credibility.
● Devise proactive media relations strategies; respond to media opportunities in a timely manner; and cultivate relationships with members of the media
● Understanding of issues management and crisis communications
● Experience interacting with and preparing materials for nonprofit boards of directors
● Proficiency in general office technology and software; experience with common communications platforms and tools such as MailChimp, Adobe Acrobat, Sprout Social, WordPress, Google Analytics, etc. preferred.
Salary and Benefits
● In-office expectations/remote work
● Professional development