Business and Engagement Reporter
The Ledger-Enquirer in Columbus, Ga., is searching for its next business, retail trends and engagement reporter.
The ideal candidate is hungry, inquisitive and constantly searching for the next big news to write about. A typical week in this beat could include writing about a restaurant opening (or closing), working on an online poll about the best donuts in town, talking with your sources about upcoming developments and researching trends in a certain area of town.
This beat will consist mostly of high-utility or engagement stories, with opportunity for regular features and trend pieces. This reporter should be comfortable writing on a short deadline and working in a collaborative environment.
What will you learn in this job? A beat like this relies on source connections, so growing and maintaining those relationships will be key to your success. We also utilize a variety of analytics tools to better understand our audiences and deliver them news that truly matters to their life. Our staff works together day in and day out, whether it’s in brainstorm meetings or peer editing.
Previous newsroom experience is preferred, but not required.
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment.
- The ability to shoot passable photos and videos.
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics.
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and high energy.
- Demonstrated ability to make and maintain source relationships.
- Ability to engage with readers and develop sources on social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Understanding of SEO and other optimization opportunities, and a demonstrated ability to learn new skills in social and digital.
- Ability to identify and cultivate audiences for selected stories.
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company.
- Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
When Applying: Please include samples of your work or a link to your online portfolio
The Columbus metro area is home to about 200,000 residents. Our newsroom is located in the downtown area where delicious restaurants, the Chattahoochee River, museums and other entertainment are easily accessible. Atlanta is only a 90 minute drive north and Fort Benning, one of the Army’s largest training sites in the country, is 15 minutes south of downtown. Interested in hiking, rafting, biking and other outdoor activities? There’s an abundance of choices depending on your skill level. Columbus State University also attracts thousands of students each year.