Associate Director, Communications and Marketing
The Georgia Health Policy Center (GHPC), established in 1995, integrates research, policy, and programs to advance health and well-being. The center conducts, analyzes and disseminates qualitative and quantitative findings to connect decision makers with the objective research and guidance needed to make informed decisions about health policy and programs. Today the center is at work in more than 220 communities in all 50 states, helping our nation to improve health status. In 2017, the GHPC added a global portfolio, including work in Nigeria, Sudan, and Ireland.
The associate director of communications and marketing provides strategic leadership, direction, and administrative oversight to the overall marketing and communications efforts of the center and its sponsored-funded projects. This position works closely with GHPC’s leadership team to develop communication and marketing strategies to effectively promote the center’s research and health policy work.
This position reports directly to GHPC’s CEO and works closely with internal staff, as well as external consultants and clients. This position is a part of GHPC’s management team, a member of the executive leadership team, and directs the work of subordinate staff.
Responsibilities of this position may include:
Communications and Marketing Leadership, Vision, and Strategy:
- Provides leadership and oversight to GHPC’s strategic communications and marketing plan, including developing quarterly goals and activities for each strategic objective.
- Develops, monitors, and measures communication strategies that successfully inform and convey key messages to the targeted audience. Uses analytics to effectively measure and share outcomes.
- Develops and executes marketing and communications plans with clients and external stakeholders.
- Cultivates and works collaboratively with local and national media to promote the work of GHPC.
- Builds awareness through GHPC’s brand; upholds and maintains the graphic identity.
- Builds a health communications and marketing portfolio for the center by identifying, securing, and managing sponsor-funded communications and marketing opportunities
- Provides leadership and guidance on sponsored-funded projects that require marketing and communication perspectives.
Communications and Marketing Operations:
- Oversees the development of all internal and external communications, including print collateral (brochures, policy briefs, research reports, posters, fact sheets, newsletters, postcards, etc.) and digital marketing (website, social media, videos, e-newsletters, blogs, webinars, etc.).
- Directs public relations efforts and serves as the point of contact for media interactions. Cultivates coverage of GHPC’s initiatives within the university and externally.
- Oversees press releases, interview preparation, op-eds, etc.
- Oversees the planning and ensures the success of meetings and events including: anniversaries, client meetings, briefings, workshops, conference sponsorship and tradeshow participation, and presentations
- Prepares talking points, presentations, speeches, and other supporting materials for GHPC’s leadership.
- Develops internal messaging regarding strategic direction, knowledge management, client relations, crisis communication (reputation management), and human resources.
- Supervises communication and marketing team, including permanent employees, students and consultants.
- Provides administrative oversight and monitors budget, staffing hours, and project efforts.
- Oversees communication support for GHPC’s research staff, ensuring that copy and branding meet GHPC communication standards using quality assurance procedures.
- Represents GHPC with clients, external stakeholders, and vendors and at state, regional, and national conferences and meetings.
- Serves as the liaison and direct contact for other communication offices within Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University, and external partners; pitches stories and shares information to build awareness within the university.
- Provides administrative leadership to GHPC as a member of the management team and the GHPC executive leadership team.
- Supports GHPC’s CEO and executive leadership team in an effort to promote the center:
- Plans and prepares presentations for clients, government agencies, national panels, and meetings.
- Creates collateral materials tailored to specific briefings and presentations.
- Light speech writing and development of media talking points.
- Attends high-level meetings and conferences in support of the CEO.
Master’s degree and 6-8 years of related experience in business administration, public relations, journalism, English, or marketing; or Bachelor’s degree and 8-10 years of related experience in business administration, public relations, journalism, English or marketing. Prior supervisory experience is a must. Experience in project management, health policy translation and dissemination, and knowledge creation is preferred. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, PhotoShop, and Illustrator), Microsoft Office, and website content management systems (WordPress preferred) are required.
SKILLS AND ABILIITES
Media relations experience
Community and public health knowledge
Excellent oral and written communications skills
Strong project management abilities
HOW TO APPLY
All interested candidates may apply through the Georgia State University Human Resources website (employment.gsu.edu). The position is listed as Sponsor Funded Professional – Research Associate I – 18000438.The salary for this position will range from $68,000-$107,319. The position is sponsor-funded and is contingent upon funding.