2018 Award of Excellence – Single Image Photography

John Spink – The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

August 7, 2018 Atlanta: A massive fire at a northwest Atlanta apartment building was brought under control after a burning pile of tires set the building ablaze Tuesday morning August 7, 2018. The building, located in the 100 block of Fairfield Place, is vacant and the illegal dumping ground for hundreds of tires, according to Atlanta fire officials. The alarm went out about 6:30 a.m., and the fire was fully involved by 7 a.m. About 40 fire personnel responded to the scene, Atlanta fire spokesman Sgt. Cortez Stafford told AJC.com. No one was injured. For several hours Tuesday, firefighters worked to knock down towering flames. Smoke from the scorched pile of rubber could be seen from I-20 but did not affect traffic, according to the WSB 24-hour Traffic Center. The fire was under control about 9:20 a.m. A foam unit was brought in to put out any remaining hot spots. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. “Our fire investigators are looking at a person of interest at this time that possibly set the fire,” Stafford said. JOHN SPINK/JSPINK@AJC.COM
April 3, 2018 Gwinnett County: The suspect was hosed off by firefighters after being gassed. A man was arrested after barricading himself inside a Gwinnett County McDonaldÕs restroom with a knife on Tuesday April 3, 2018, according to police. As a standoff at a Gwinnett County McDonaldÕs approached its fourth hour, authorities deployed gas to get the barricaded man to surrender. The plan worked and the suspect was taken into custody on charges of terroristic threats and criminal trespass, Gwinnett police said. Although no one was injured in the incident, the business was damaged and water was left overflowing in the restroom, Gwinnett police Cpl. Michele Pihera said.ÒWhen he was inside the restroom, he was destroying it and pulling pipes out of the wall,Ó Pihera said. About 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, employees at the Sugarloaf Parkway location in unincorporated LawrencevilleÊÒpossiblyÓ saw the suspect doing drugs and asked him to leave, police said. Instead of complying with that request, the man ran to the bathroom with a knife, according to authorities.Ê The restaurant was evacuated and SWAT was called. The suspect refused to cooperate with negotiators, prompting officials to deploy the gas, police said.Ê The manÕs name and his motivations were not known. This is the second recent incident at a metro Atlanta McDonaldÕs. A DeKalb County McDonaldÕs was forced to close after someone tossed a smoke grenade through a drive-thru window on North Druid Hills, police said. JOHN SPINK/JSPINK@AJC.COM
March 20, 2018 South Fulton County: Ontario Alvarez holds his mother, Katrina Dawson in front of of their house on Jumpers Trail on Tuesday March 20, 2018. A powerful storm system swept through North Georgia overnight, sending trees into roads, damaging homes and businesses, knocking out power to thousands and leaving behind a path of destruction in one south Fulton County neighborhood. More than 130 severe weather reports of large hail, damaging wind and possible tornadoes came in Monday, according to Channel 2 Action News. The most severe damage was reported in south Fulton, which saw “unbelievable” destruction, according to state Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens. A possible tornado tore through the Jumpers Trail neighborhood off Campbellton Fairburn Road in Fairburn, blowing off the side of Thomas Correa’s daughter’s bedroom. Correa’s daughter is a student at Kennesaw State University and was not home at the time. While there were no reports of injuries, the storm ripped roofs off houses, knocked homes off their foundations and damaged cars. As daylight gave officials a better view of the damage in Fairburn, Hudgens said he was amazed no one was injured. He was on the scene to help residents connect with their insurance agents and the commissioner’s office.“You see one house that doesn’t have much damage,” Hudgens said. “Yet you see another one that looks like it’s going to have to be just totally torn down and started over.” JOHN SPINK/JSPINK@AJC.COM
March 1, 2018 Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport: the Georgia National Guard Honor Guard place the body of United States Army Pfc. Lamar Eugene Newman who served during the Korean War and went MIA and declared deceased in November of 1950 in the hearse after returning home after 67-years Thursday, March 1, 2018. The family of Pfc. Newman quietly watched the Georgia National Guard Honor Guard receive the body as law enforcement stood attention with Patriot Guard Riders and the Delta Honor Guard at Delta Cargo at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. The Patriot Guard Riders along with law enforcement escorted Newman home to Griffin, Georgia where he will be buried March 2 in his hometown. In November 1950, Newman was a member of Company B, 1st Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, taking part in a defensive operation in the vicinity of the village of Kujang, North Korea. The Division suffered heavy losses, with many Soldiers going missing or being killed or captured. Newman went missing near the village of Kujang as a result of heavy fighting on Nov. 27, 1950. JOHN SPINK/JSPINK@AJC.COM
January 23, 2018 Atlanta: One person was killed and six people were injured in a crash that blocked I-20 East before the Downtown Connector for more than 4½ hours Tuesday morning, Jan. 23, 2018. Authorities responded to the multi-vehicle collision about 3:30 a.m., Atlanta police spokesman Donald Hannah told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.  At one point, a vehicle caught fire and a person was trapped, according to Channel 2 Action News. The crash left vehicles unrecognizable and sent the injured to Grady Memorial Hospital. Their conditions are unknown. The Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office responded to the scene and took the victim, whose name has not been released, Hannah said. The interstate did not reopen until just before 8:10 a.m. It is unclear what caused the deadly crash. However, Hannah said “a large bag of marijuana and two guns were recovered from the crash site.” JOHN SPINK/JSPINK@AJC.COM
November 13, 2018 Hapeville : Left to right – Hapeville firefighters, Driver, John Bravy, Kevin Swiney and Sgt. Nick Condrey gave oxygen to a cat Swiney pulled out of the fire. Two cats are safe after a fire in Hapeville on Tuesday morning, Nov. 13, 2018 but up to nine other cats were reported missing after the blaze. No people were injured in the fire at a home in the 3300 block of Lavista Drive, Hapeville fire Chief David Bloodworth told AJC.com. Firefighters got one cat out and were able to revive it with oxygen, and they later found a second cat safe outside the home. The resident, however, reported she had 11 cats, Bloodworth said. “At this time, we’re unable to find any of the other cats,” he said. “They’re still looking.” The fire started about 5:50 a.m., when the resident called 911. She said the house was full of smoke and she heard popping sounds. She went outside. When the fire department arrived, they “noted that there was visible fire showing, coming out the front door,” Bloodworth said. The fire was put out and crews continued to monitor for hot spots Tuesday morning. The cause of the blaze is under investigation. JOHN SPINK/JSPINK@AJC.COM