Evening Enrichment Series
The Evening Enrichment Series presents monthly educational programs to Press Club members and the general public. This series keeps news media and allied communications specialists attuned to the latest trends in the industry by offering professional development workshops, panelist discussions and book-signing events. Organized by the programming committee, topics have included reporter’s privilege, journalists and trauma, and how to be a successful freelancer.
A night of laughs! This event stars Laughing Skull comedians who entertain Atlanta Press Club members and guests through good natured ignominy and lots of laughs. Following Gorilla Ball tradition, this event pokes fun at local network affiliates: WAGA-TV, WGCL-TV WSB-TV and WXIA-TV. In 2013 the Press Club has assembled Atlanta’s edgiest team of comedians to “roast” our local broadcast journalists.
The Hall of Fame is an annual event that recognizes journalists for their
lifetime achievements, whose careers represent the highest standards of journalistic integrity and ethics. They have made outstanding contributions either to journalism in Georgia, and/or the Atlanta Press Club, often courageously overcoming obstacles to pursue and find the truth that the public needs to know.
On October 10, 2012, the following people were inducted into the second Hall of Fame class:
- Xernona Clayton, the noted journalist and founder of the Trumpet Awards
- Anne Cox Chambers, Barbara Cox, and James M. Cox, the founders of Cox Enterprises, the Atlanta-based media conglomerate
- Conrad Fink, the renowned University of Georgia journalism professor
- George Goodwin, the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, who is best known for his longtime dedication to the Atlanta communications professions
- Ralph McGill, the Pulitzer Prize-winning editor for the Atlanta Constitution and leading voice for racial tolerance in the South in the 1950’s and 60’s
Holiday Author Party
The Holiday Author Party is considered one of Atlanta’s most anticipated seasonal events for the media. We host more than 30 local and national authors to sign their latest books. The event is held at a different venue around the city each year and features a silent auction. Atlanta’s top journalists, reporters and media professionals attend the event each year.
Awards of Excellence
The Atlanta Press Club Awards of Excellence recognize individual journalists for quality work that makes an impact.
All journalists who either work for Atlanta news outlets or who are based in Atlanta are eligible for an Award of Excellence. Anyone is eligible to nominate a journalist for an Award of Excellence, and journalists are encouraged to self-nominate.
The Atlanta Press Club presents an Award of Excellence in the following categories:
- Print, Daily - News or feature articles appearing in regularly produced newspapers and magazines
- Print, Non-Daily - News or feature articles appearing in regularly produced weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or one-off newspapers or magazines
- Print Photography, Daily - News or feature photographs appearing in regularly produced newspaper or magazines
- Print Photography, Non-Daily - News or feature photographs appearing in regularly produced, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or one-off newspapers or magazines
- Broadcast, TV Reporting - News or feature story appearing in a local or national newscast or program
- Broadcast, Radio Reporting – News or feature story appearing on local or national radio
- Broadcast, Digital Reporting - News or feature story created specifically for an online outlet
- Broadcast, Video - News or feature videography appearing in a local or national newscast or program
- Broadcast, Photography, Single Image - Single image from an online story, homepage or channel front
- Broadcast, Photography, Gallery - Photo story or collection of photographs from an online story or gallery that tell a story
- Commentary - Any medium, up to 3 pieces, published or broadcast in 2012
- The Rising Star Award - Outstanding talent from any medium, under 30 years of age**
- The Atlanta Press Club Impact Award - The winner of the APC Impact Award is a Georgian (not necessarily a journalist) who had a significant impact on the journalism profession in the previous calendar year and has furthered the mission of the APC, which is focused on fostering journalistic excellence and advancing the public’s understanding of a free press***
The Atlanta Press Club hosts Newsmakers from around Atlanta, Georgia and the country to speak to our members and guests at our luncheon series.
Past speakers include Director of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, General David Petraeus, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, Tom Brokaw and Barbara Walters.