The Digital News Producer Trainee learns and applies essential facets of digital platform production, writing, showcasing of stories, story selection across the .com, mobile and social media platforms. Training in the previously mention activities is provided for a short duration. The Digital News Producer Trainee begins with tasks that include newscast prompter operation and advances into digital news writing responsibilities. Within two to three months, or as opportunities arise, the Producer Trainee typically produces content for CBS46’s digital platforms.
Essential Job Functions:
30% Under the direction of authorized staff member, write and edit content for digital platforms – including slideshows
25% Rewrite press releases using AP style and proper formatting for the web for approval by authorized digital staff member
20% Under the direction of authorized staff member, curate for and post to social media
15% Cut video to attach to reporter stories, cut VOSOTs from shows for standalone clips
10% Work within Worldnow to share digital content from WGCL’s sister stations within the Meredith group.
Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent training and/or experience. Training in HTML a plus.
Limited experience required. Must have completed an internship or work study in the digital or broadcasting field. This is a trainee position.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must have understanding of journalism basics.
• Must be comfortable with complex material including public affairs, economic, sports and science.
• Good verbal and written communication skills, including proofreading.
• Ability to work a flexible work schedule and work as a member of a team.
• Must possess good writing and graphics skills with ability to provide an interesting and substantive product.
• Must be results oriented.
• Ability to work in a creative, fast-paced environment on multiple project simultaneously
• Proficient in news writing, AP style, non-linear editing and photo-shop
Interested, qualified candidates should apply on line at
Meredith Corporation, CBS46 WGCL-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.